Transfer Applicants

John Jay College is the only college in the nation dedicated to Justice and that starts with our VERY generous transfer credit policies.

At John Jay College, you can earn college credits in multiple ways.

Email [email protected] to learn more!

John Jay Transfers Statistics


Average Credits Transferred In


Majors Offered


Almost 50 Percent of New Students are Transfers

Traditional Transfer Credits

John Jay College accepts at equal value all transfer credits in college level academic courses with a passing grade [D- or better] from within CUNY, or C or better from an accredited college outside of CUNY (transfer credits from schools not on the semester system will be converted to semester credits). Students who complete courses outside CUNY with passing grades below a C will be excused from the equivalent courses at John Jay College but will not receive credits for them.

Standardized Exams:

Credit may be awarded to students with sufficiently high passing scores on standardized tests offered by several external testing programs, such as Advanced Placement Program (AP), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate (IB), Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE), and DSST.

For more information regarding credits by exam click here.

Military Training and Occupations:

The college follows the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) in granting credit for military training, based on review of students' military transcripts, up to a maximum of 45 credits. Members of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and National Guard order official transcripts through the Joint Services transcript (JST) system at After requesting an official transcript through JST, notify the Evaluation Office at [email protected] and they will retrieve your transcript from the JST system. Members of the Air Force order official transcripts sent to John Jay from the Community College for the Air Force (CCAF) at

Professional Learning Evaluation (PLE):

A maximum of 45 credits may be granted for verifiable college level learning from external, non-college sources, such as law enforcement or fire academies, military, or standardized tests. John Jay generally recognizes credit recommendations from the American Council on Education (ACE) and the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS). The college maintains lists of previously evaluated training, which will be used to evaluate a student’s documents for eligible transfer credit. John Jay also offers an individualized evaluation to determine credit for prior learning. In some cases, credit from prior learning may be deemed equivalent to one or more courses in a major/minor program of study.

Uniformed Members of Service

Students who are graduates of the New York City Police Academy, the New York City Fire Academy, and the New York City Department of Corrections Academy are accepted as direct transfers to the College. In addition to transfer credits subject to the policies described above, these students also receive transfer credit based on their training, which has been evaluated by the College. These course credits vary by training academy and are published in the college bulletin. External credit for other police, fire and corrections training academies are evaluated by academic departments as the need arises. These credits may not exceed the College’s limit of 45 “external” credits.

Credits from Institutions outside of the United States

A student with foreign credentials accepted to John Jay College and deemed by the University Application Processing Center, or by John Jay College, or by CUNY-approved credit evaluators, to have earned college credits at a postsecondary institution will be granted college credits at John Jay College on a case-by-case basis.

CUNY recommends the following two agencies for translation and evaluation: Josef Silny & Associates, Inc., International Education Consultants & Transcript Research

CUNY Justice Academy (CJA)

The CUNY Justice Academy (CJA) is a partnership of seven CUNY community colleges with John Jay College of Criminal Justice to help you make the transition to a baccalaureate degree. By completing your associate degree in a CJA major at one of the participating CUNY community colleges, you are automatically part of the CJA and receive dual admission that puts you on track to complete your bachelor’s degree at John Jay College.


Transfer Credit Posting Timeline

1. Submit CUNY Application or CJA Interest form

2. Get Admitted to John Jay College

3. Accept the offer and pay the commitment deposit (if applicable)

4. Transfer Credits will be posted in CUNYfirst and DegreeWorks 

Transfer Explorer

Click “How does this course transfer” to see how each and every individual course will transfer across CUNY”